Friday 24 January 2014

Found-footage (aka-shaky cam) Rant



In anticipation of the Soska Twins helming the upcoming sequel, I watched See No Evil the other night.  Had never seen it before and didn't expect to much.  As suspected, the acting was pretty terrible, the fx were ok, the story and details lacking (a bunch of convict kids allowed to wear chains, heels, purses, etc...?) but overall it was entertaining.  The one thing I kept saying to myself over and over again was "it's not the best but at least it's not found-footage" (or shaky-cam, as I like to refer to it). 




Aaaand that brings me to my main topic/rant: the ever increasing amount of films in the found-footage sub-genre. 

I am SOOO sick of reading about an upcoming horror film, getting excited, only to find out it's shaky cam.  Again.  What happened to regular old low-budget horror!  Even if it was cheesy as hell at least you could watch it without getting a headache!  I guess directors feel it's a way to overshadow the bad acting/fx/low budget?  Get off the band wagon people!  It's SO done! 

And of course there are exceptions to this (Rec movies, V/H/S 2, The Tunnel) for the most part it seems to do a disservice to the story and to the actors. 


Case in point, I recently watched "Europa Report" (sci-fi, I know) and judging from the cast (Sharlto Copley, Michal Nyqvist) I was expecting something great.  I was wrong.  It was disjointed and fuzzy it was hard to enjoy the acting let alone follow the story line.  I get that this found-footage is part of the story, but couldn't it not be?  Couldn't we just make a good film that all can see, follow and enjoy?  Sigh...





I will continue to watch these movies regardless of how I feel about the filming style because as true horror fans, you can't be to picky in this genre.  I look forward to Ti West's "Sacrement" and the final Rec movie but I will continue to hope this film-making fad fades and more traditional styles once again become the norm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment