Wednesday 22 January 2014

Desensitized

It's easy to become desensitized to violence now a days.  We see it on the news, on tv shows in ever increasing amounts and horror movies has reached a new level of violence compared to their predecessors.  I often wish I had grown up in an earlier time so I could better appreciate the older scary flicks but alas, I'm a product of my era and find the new gore-drenched films much more to my liking.  I have a list of older movies I'm going to work through at some point but I find whenever I watch one of them I can't help thinking, "wow, this would be a really good remake".  Sad, I know! 
 
Case in point, I watched Frailty again the other night.  Now I know this is more of a thriller and it's not even that old, just 2002.  It's a great film and not in any need of being redone but I kept thinking "with some added gore, this would make a great horror movie!".  I love the story and it's a great early example of what Matthew McConaughey is capable of (Killer Joe as a recent example). 
 
I'm going to try to weene myself off the gore in the next little while and start to appreciate some of the older classics.  It's embarrassing how I call myself a horror fan and still haven't seen a number of classic movies.  Time to start studying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment