Monday 27 January 2014

Reviews of "Black Rock" and "Oldboy"

Wow, rare weekend indeed!  First time in a while I've two double features and not one of those movies disappointed!   
 
 
So Oldboy is first up this time.  I've been wanting to watch this movie for ages but just never got around to it.  Now with the Spike Jonze remake looming, I made it a priority. 

"After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days. "

The first bit of the movie, I was a little hesitant.  I sometimes find Korean horror/action a wee bit cheesy but as this movie progressed my opinions quickly changed.  Min-sik Choi (I Saw The Devil) is THE genre actor in his world.  And rightly so.  He brings intensity and honesty and humour to his roles.  The rest of the cast were great as well.  Chan-Wook Park is such an amazing director.  His shots are incredible and his blending from one scene to the next really unique.  And the action and gore will satisfy any horror fan.  And that ending??  Oh, man, without giving anything away, I literally yelled "NO!" at the screen!  Just brutal.  Brutal!  I am very much looking forward to seeing the other two that complete the trilogy.  Now after that said, I am curious to see what the American version holds.  Having read numerous disappointed reviews, I'm not expecting it to match the original in any way but am still curious.  I do like Josh Brolin so we'll see! 
 
 

And then we watched Black Rock:

"Three childhood friends set aside their personal issues and reunite for a girls' weekend on a remote island off the coast of Maine. One wrong move turns their weekend getaway into a deadly fight for survival."     

This totally ties in to my bit about feminism and horror.  Katie Asleton wrote, directed and starred in this awesome indie film.  Along with Kate Bosworth and Lake Bell, it was a great story of survival and female bonding.  I think it really showed true the complexities of female relationships.   Lake Bell was exceptional in this.  Both she and Katie Asleton put forth really raw performances.  The film was intense and real and scary to watch, especially if you're a girl.  You can imagine all to easily how someone could get into that situation.  My only complaint is that they threw some full frontal nudity in there.  I don't know if it was really necessary.  It didn't help the story out at all.  I imagine it helped the actresses get into their roles more, feeling more vulnerable in the cold, dark woods, but still....   All in all, an awesome thriller I highly recommend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment