Monday 24 February 2014

Twin Powers: Review of "Dead Hooker in a Trunk"

Finally got around to watching Dead Hooker In A Trunk the other night.  It's the story of four unlikely friends who, after encountering the corpse of a dead hooker in the trunk of their car, are thrown into a chaotic ride dodging violence and leaving destruction in their wake. 

Shot in Vancouver on a tight budget, this is the debut film from twins, Jen and Sylvia Soska, of American Mary fame.  Overall I did like this film however, I do have a lot of issues with it. 

First off, you could really feel the passion for the genre and the excitement to be contributing to it.  The acting was fairly shoddy at times and the plotline kind of ridiculous (some of the decisions of the characters make are frankly, mind boggling) and I had a major issue with the unrealistic treatment (or lack thereof) of injuries (Spoiler: An arm ripped off by a speeding transport just gets stitched back on until a much later trip to the hospital??  No.).  

I read a review somewhere where the reviewer compared this to House of 1000 Corpses as far as ambition and potential goes and I can agree with that.  However, Rob Zombie already had such a specific style and fan base and these gals are just creating theirs so slightly different.  It did show a ton of potential though and real glimpses of great film making talent.  Some of the shots were great and the gore was good.  I, of course, especially liked the use of soundtrack.  You can tell they tried to fit every song they possibly could into the film and I appreciate that but it was almost a bit to much.  And I think therein lies one of the
strengths and weaknesses, so much excitement that they tried to pack to many ideas, to many songs, to much action, to much everything.  At times it also felt a little...narcissistic?  I can see the ease staring in your own movie but it was almost like they wanted to direct their own music video at times.  (Incidentally, these are the same reasons I wasn't a fan of American Mary).  The good and bad twin cliché was in full effect (the Badass character played by Sylvia was a little much at times) but it's almost hard to make a genre film without clichés.

I did like the movie and would definitely recommend it.  Tons of potential and really, anytime you see a director(s) obvious passion for the genre it's hard not love it.  For that reason, I am glad I watched this after seeing American Mary as I think I would have been even more disappointed with it.  DHIAT shows so much promise for the future and sadly, Mary just didn't deliver.  I am going to re-watch it though after seeing this.  Often a second viewing changes opinions (but I'm doubtful on that one).  Still, hopeful the Twins will churn out some good ones in the future.  Maybe See No Evil 2 will deliver?  Here's hoping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment